Pre-Operative Instructions for Oral Surgery
To ensure your safety, please follow these steps BEFORE surgery:
- You MUST NOT EAT OR DRINK anything for eight (8) hours before oral surgery under general anesthesia. Not even water, coffee, chewing gums, mints, etc. Check with the doctor about taking your current medications the morning of your surgery. Medications may be taken with a small sip of water at least 2 hours prior to your surgery.
- You should wear loose fitting clothing, flat shoes, and a short sleeved shirt. Women should not wear makeup, nail polish, lipstick, jewelry, wigs, or false eye lashes because they may interfere with our monitoring of your vital signs. If you have tongue piercings, please remove them prior to surgery. Research has shown that smoking may cause anesthesia complications. We ask that you avoid smoking for 24 hours prior to surgery and one week following surgery.
- You must have a responsible adult over the age of 18 who can understand post-operative instructions and escort you safely home. Your escort should remain in the waiting area the ENTIRE time during surgery. If they must step outside to make a phone call, they must notify the front desk staff prior to leaving the area.
- Your escort should be prepared to take you home by car or taxicab. You cannot go home by bus.
- Minors (individuals under the age of 18) must be escorted by parent or legal guardian, or someone who has power-of-attorney. Consent may only be signed by parents, legal guardians, or someone who has written power-of-attorney.
- Please make every effort to arrive at your appointment 15 minutes early. We will make every effort to perform your surgery as it is scheduled. We apologize in advance if we delay the start of your surgery. If you arrive more than 20 minutes late, we may need to reschedule your surgery.
- PLEASE CALL AT LEAST 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE TO CANCEL AN APPOINTMENT.